🕑 Full Time 📌 Remote (US/CA time zones)
Salary: $120,000 - $150,000 base + variable compensation (bonus/commission)
Equity: 0.75 - 1.25%
Benefits: Hardware setup of choice, flexible work hours, optional desk at a local coworking space or in our SF office, health insurance (premiums 100% covered, incl dependents), 401k match (4%)
At pganalyze, we optimize the performance of Postgres databases and ensure that the most important component of a development stack - the database - works fast and reliably. Our product helps customers such as Atlassian, Robinhood and DoorDash to understand and solve complex Postgres problems and performance issues.
pganalyze enables data platform teams to scale their Postgres expertise to support hundreds of application developers, and deliver fast end-user experiences. Application developers use pganalyze to get deep insights into complex database behaviors. The pganalyze product offers automated analysis and custom visualizations, and makes automatic recommendations, such as suggesting the best index to create for a slow query.
Our company is bootstrapped and profitable, headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area. We work fully remote, with most team members based across the US and Canada. We emphasize autonomy and focus time by having few meetings per week.
We welcome people of different backgrounds, abilities, experiences and perspectives. Having a work environment that is diverse, inclusive and focuses on learning from one another is central to how we operate. Working together is a form of community, and we care about the shared spaces being safe and supportive.
We are looking for a knowledgeable and experienced Head of Sales for pganalyze. You will start by working closely with our CEO and Head of Marketing to refine our sales strategy, and drive sales conversations personally at the start, taking over from the CEO. Our team consists of experienced entrepreneurs that have scaled businesses before, worked at small startups and large enterprises such as Microsoft, Salesforce and CloudBees, and have gone through acquisitions (Citus Data / Microsoft, CodeShip / CloudBees).
There is a strong existing inbound sales pipeline with household names as customers. Starting out, we expect you to sell personally to our customers, and over time, we expect you to grow the Sales organization into a small, efficient sales team, and to drive the overall sales strategy for the company. We value automation where it makes sense, and expect you to enable efficiency for smaller deals (< $10k/year), allowing time to focus on larger deals ($50k - $250k+/year).
At pganalyze you will:
- Develop and execute the strategic plan to achieve sales targets and expand our customer base as well as increase revenue per account
- Manage the entire sales cycle from finding a customer opportunity to securing a deal
- Act as the lead point of contact for any and all matters specific to your accounts and prospective customers
- Provide after-sales support to maximize customer retention and potential upsell opportunities
- Manage deals, negotiate agreements, keep records of sales, revenue, quotes, etc.
- Prepare sales contracts ensuring sales, finance and legal policies and procedures are met and adhere to established rules and guidelines
- Establish sales process best practices and playbooks
- Monitor and report on sales performance through analytics in tools like HubSpot
- Liaise with marketing and product development team members to ensure brand consistency and increase sales
- Have an excellent understanding of the competitive landscape
- Be able to answer high-level technical customer questions (e.g. how the software gets deployed), and know when to defer to other team members
Previously, you have:
- Worked in a small early stage team where everyone wears multiple hats
- Held a sales leadership / director role in a business that sold SaaS products, and were directly involved in working with customers
- Developed sales playbooks for use by the sales team
- Closed deals with larger enterprises involving procurement and legal negotiations
- Partnered with engineers to showcase products in a demo
- Used lead discovery tools like LinkedIn Sales Navigator to identify potential prospects
- Identified the right stakeholders when multiple layers of management are involved
- Prioritized lead lists and have done cold outreach to Target Account Lists
- Coordinated with internal stakeholders to best respond to customer requests, such as feature requirement lists or security questionnaires
Optionally, you also have:
- Experience in selling database or developer tools (very good to have)
- Built out sales team organization and incentive structure
- Designed pricing and discounting structures
- Run customer/account satisfaction surveys
- Sold products that had a self-service purchasing experience for business customers
- Run customer upselling and retention campaigns
- Sold technical products that require consultative sales efforts
- Worked with resellers to sell in situations where a reseller is requested by the customer
- An interest in software engineering or computer science